Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Twilight. No, not THAT Twilight!

I’m still getting accustomed to the capabilities of the new camera, especially when combined with the capabilities of Lightroom.

KiwiTrader

This was shot handheld, probably 30 minutes after sundown.  Very specifically: ISO 1600, 1/40th, f/4 @ 16mm.

Yeah? So? 

Well… six weeks ago, I would not have been able to make this image.  At all.  And if I’d have attempted it, the older version of Lightroom would have sniffed at the RAW images and only recognized them after having been pushed around a bit.

Now, it’s all easy.  And remarkably clean.  It’s not noise-free, and if the light were better, it would be sharper.  But not by a lot, and very probably not to the degree that the differences would be visible at web-resolution.

Back to the subject itself:  The Kiwi Trader has been in town for about 36 hours or so.  I’m always just a bit surprised at what looks like the leisurely pace of the loading operations at the new “log dock”.  But I’m almost heartened by that.   What I hope that means is that the crews and management are both looking out for the safety of all of the people involved.

No comments: