Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Four for Four

I’m tempting fate. 

For many years running, I’ve had it in my mind to make one image that “made a damn” per day for a calendar year.

Maybe not for you, but but for me. 

I was three for three.  I might post the others later, but the thing is that they mattered to me.

Today, as the light faded, I was feeling sunk as I got home, as both cameras had remained sequestered all day.  It was late, and I was tired, and I still had work to do.

But, just across the street, a vista opened up and needed to be explored.

Cielo de Vancouver

I had to walk across the street and a few doors west to capture this, but it’s by no means a far cry from what I’d see from my living room on a lucky night. 

This is an 8 second exposure at f/8, ISO 200 with the Sigma 105mm macro.  Other than a less than 1 degree straightening and some highlight recovery, this is what the sensor saw without manipulation.

Feel free to click on the image to take in the details.

2 comments:

Seraffyn said...

I like the way the water is smoothed out. I'm curious about the other three shots, too.

NWWanderer said...

Well, now I'm four for five. It was just too gloomy a day for me. I had a couple of ideas that I couldn't follow up on.

Regarding the smoothing of the water: I wanted to make the effect complete, and so my first attempt was a 30-second exposure. Unfortunately, the ship moves too much in that span of time and becomes a murky, streaky blur. I was feeling pretty lucky to get what I did under the circumstances. This was a situation where no ND filter would help... you just can't keep a ship still when it's not tied to a dock.