Thursday, July 5, 2012

Cue the Bond Theme…

Sometimes I wonder why I ever look away from my front windows.

I’d bopped downstairs for some random chore and glanced river-ward.

“Holy crap, what’s that?”

As always, the first instinct is to reach for the camera, but… “The card’s still upstairs in the computer!” 

Very fast trip up and downstairs, fingers flying over the controls on the camera, out the front door and…

Meduse threads the needle

Whew!  I got it! 

Settling in as the yacht made its way seaward, I paid more attention to focus points than individual details.

It wasn’t until the upload was complete that I really saw what I’d been tracking.

Meduse Profile

In hindsight, the main rotor blades are nearly fully visible in the first shot, but I really didn’t see them.  I have no excuse for not seeing the helo until it was on my computer’s monitor except that I was focusing on, well, focusing.  At that range, with that light and that lens, there’s not a lot of room for error, and I didn’t want to miss it.  So I didn’t even notice the helo in real time.

I just think of the maintenance cost of both vehicles visible here and cringe.  Never mind the purchase price… the ongoing costs are staggering.  There’s clearly another reality afloat here.

No comments: